The Flu is a Beast

Hi everyone! It’s been a long time since I’ve posted… I feel like I’ve been crazy busy, but I’m trying to get back to it. In January, I got the flu. I’ve since recovered, but it was a 3-week ordeal, probably prolonged by some bad choices (I’ll get to those!)

I recall the day it started. It was Thursday, January 25th. About 10am, I started feeling a little tired and had some chills. Shake it off, girl! I tried, but… By, midday, I knew I had a bad cold. By, mid-afternoon, I wanted to crawl under a rock. I had to pick up my son (almost 5) at 4:30, though, I live through his karate class. And, I did. Barely. I sat and drank water for the whole hour while trying desperately not to cough.

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 5.31.06 PM

After I got him home, I somehow managed to feed him and then proceeded to lie down on the sofa and fall asleep. When my husband got home, my son (who adorably did check on me a few times), had dumped out what seemed like all of his toys on the floor. Great. I couldn’t move and we found that I had a temperature of 104. Yikes!! Hubby got me some Tylenol and got me in bed.

Honestly, I pretty much *lost the next 4 days*. I slept most of the time and when I was awake, I couldn’t focus. Everything felt foggy. So, I kept taking my Tylenol and trying to keep my temperature around 100-101. I finally gave up and asked my husband to take me to urgent care, Tuesday night (the 30th). I got Tamiflu and a Z-Pack (antibiotics). The doctor said lots of people were coming back with pneumonia, so recommended treating both. Good idea, doc! By, the next afternoon, I was on the mend. Yay!

The following week, I did something super ridiculous. I tried to go running, despite being rundown and tired. I thought I could force the rest of this illness out of me. Yeah… Not so much. I pretty much ended up walking and coughing. I did this 3 times. 3 times! What was I thinking?!? The 3rd time, I pulled a muscle on my right side from all the coughing and decided to stop being crazy.

I took another week off and finally, finally, finally returned to the world of the living. I’ve been running and exercising since then and am back to normal. But, wow, what a journey. I guess my ultimate message here is take it easy if you get the flu. It’s horrible and it is literally killing people.

I’m so glad to be over it. I remember thinking to myself at one point after the 3rd week that I had forgotten what it felt like to feel normal. Ugh. I was also overdue to get some new running shoes. I did that today and am looking forward to reporting back on how I like them. Whohoo!

Stay healthy!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s